05 July 2012

Road Trip - Reunion!


I recently traveled to my Alma Mater to attend a reunion in celebration of my sorority's 50th anniversary on the Oklahoma State University campus.  This was a celebration for members of the 1st pledge class up to the present.


It's been a long time since I've seen most of my sorority sisters and was looking forward to reconnecting with old friends and meeting new ones.  I'm happy to say that I got to do a little of each.



We had two banquets; one Friday night and one Saturday night.

Friday night dinner was held in the O-Club which one can become a member of if you lettered in any Varsity sport, cheerleading, etc.



The club has a very nice view of the new stadium.  Several years ago this looked like a high school stadium with the aluminum bleacher seating.  Thanks T. Boone Pickens!



This is probably the highlight for some of us.  The Tri Delta Washboard band was quite infamous 'in the day'.  Here, we're just good!  Delta Washboard Band re-united and performed. Sacre bleau we were good!




Facebook has served as a great venue to keep up with some of my sisters, but it just doesn't compare with the pleasure you receive from the hugs and visiting, and just hanging out.

We poured over the scrapbooks and photo albums; shared our stories; laughed about past antics and mourned those we have lost.



The years dropped away as we re-acquainted ourselves with "The Strip" until the wee hours of the morning.  It's been many a moon since I've had my hand stamped.


We danced





and sang


And had a great time.



The Strip has surely changed since the early to mid-seventies, but the Coney Island is still there.  And we confirmed it was still a great place to grab those yummy little dogs after a night of dancing.  It was a night full of fun and spending time with the girls the way we did in college made me feel young again....until the next morning.



Saturday was another day for lunch, visiting and touring (not to mention a nice long nap prior to the evening's activities).



Another banquet that evening in the ConocoPhillips Alumni Center.

The rest of the evening was spent spending time with each other one last time before heading home the next morning.

Over the years many of these ladies have remained close and celebrated many of life's events with each other -- weddings, school graduations, the birth of children and grandchildren.  They got together for concerts, vacations and any other reason they could dream up to celebrate.  I know this is a perk for staying in your hometown or home state; which I didn't do.
 
I regret that I didn't stick around and live in my hometown environs.  I moved away to Colorado, Texas and North Carolina.  As much as I loved these places I missed out on the people I had been associated with in college.  I was by myself and my compadres were enjoying each oher's company.
 
Time to come home!  This is the year of the season ticket!!!

I'm so very grateful for having had the opportunity to re-connect with so many.  It was great fun ladies!

No comments:

Post a Comment